…it would be hard to top a concert by a group that lives to its name — FearNoMusic… one of the most unusual programs of the year…
Oregon Arts Watch
…a concert that dared actually feature composers from our own place and time qualifies as a momentous event. Which isn’t to disparage the remarkable efforts of one of the state’s most valuable performing arts ensembles, FearNoMusic — in fact, it shows just how critical they are to Portland’s artistic vitality.
One of the Best Concerts of the Year… Modernism isn’t supposed to be this much fun.
Barry Johnson, Art Scatter
I didn’t know I needed it until I saw it and heard it.
FearNoMusic…play with a felicitous combination of easy rapport and tight ensemble.
…they provide a refuge from conventional rules and a chance to listen with a fresh and youthful ear.
…extraordinary intensity. The performance was fascinating.
…eclectic, intelligent taste in programming and a catchy way with a title.
Brett Campbell, Oregon ArtsWatch
Every time I hear FearNoMusic, I’m amazed that these master musicians, most of whom play leading roles in the Oregon Symphony, can pull off these challenging, never-before-heard works so convincingly in spite of their crowded schedules and no doubt inadequate rehearsal time. It demonstrates their deep and admirable commitment, not just to brand new sounds but also to subsequent performances of older contemporary works, which give the worthiest pieces a chance to enter the repertoire. These intrepid musicians certainly live up to their name.
…never expect fearNoMusic’s programming to be doctrinaire.
Exploring and performing great music of the 20th and 21st centuries,
and promoting education and advancement of young composers.
Young Composers Project
Fear No Music is dedicated to developing the next generation of creative musical minds, and the Young Composers Project provides an unparalleled opportunity for aspiring composers in 6th through 12th grade. For more information, visit the YCP site.
Board of Directors
- Monica Ohuchi, Executive Director
- Kenji Bunch, Artistic Director
- Ryan Francis, President of the Board
- Bob Kingston, Vice President of the Board
- Michael Burles, Chief Information Officer
- Umi Hashitsume Francis, Interim Treasurer
- Jeff Payne, Secretary
- Daphne Plaut, Board Member
- Joel Bluestone, Board Member
- Isaac Schild, Board Member
- Kevin Lefohn, Board Advisor
- Amy I Productions, website design
- Isabel Cattadoris, programs and graphic design
- Emily Overstreet, graphic design
- Jack Gabel, audio/video recording
- Kevin Lefohn, Advisory Director
- Candace Bouchard, Public Relations
- David Hoerz, audio/video recording
- P-Town Prints, printing